house image  The Web Benefits Calculator - simply fill out this form for an instant on-line estimate  calculator image
 Remember this calculation is an estimate based on the information you supply. For a full evaluation make a formal claim asap. Usually Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support will only start from the Monday after the Council receive your form.

Step 1 - requests rent and weekly LHA details for a Housing Benefit Claim ( skip Step 1 if you just want help with your Council Tax bill )



Step 2 - requests your Council Tax details ( skip this stage if you do not want help with your Council Tax bill )

Step 3 - requests some General Information about you


Step 4 - Looks for claimant (and partner) work capacity / health / disability issues or carer functions (if any) - otherwise skip this block.
Be sure to enter any Employment and Support Allowance payments down at Step 8 as other unearned income. Should you be one of the few Permitted Work earners (on the higher monetary limit) then you are likely to be awarded substantial benefit so do apply asap.

Where a partner gets the (higher) ESA support component, a couple might want to swap claim roles to increase potential HB/CTS.

   work capacity

disability image  

Are you (the claimant), your partner, or both of you, being paid (or entitled to be paid) a Carer's Allowance for looking after someone ?

Step 5 - requests details of your children and young persons for whom child benefit is paid.

Step 6 - requests details for single lone parents only - otherwise skip this step

Step 7 - requests earnings details. As mentioned at Step 3, skip to Step 12 if you are on IS, Income-based/related JSA/ESA or PGC.
construction worker image  Give figures for the claimant (and partner). Include average earnings from office worker image employment and self employment. building site image
Be sure to enter weekly figures in the Weekly column only and Monthly figures in the Monthly column only. Weekly Monthly
Step 8 - requests your Unearned income figures for you (and your partner). Please make them weekly.
We do not count War Pensions, charitable payments or payments made as a result of personal injury as income. So do not enter them below. medals image

Step 9 - requests your Savings, Investments and other assets (claimant and partner).
  You cannot qualify for any Housing Benefit or (most) Council Tax Support if you and any partner have 16,000 or more in savings and investments. The home you live in and personal possessions do not count. piggybank image
Step 10 - requests your eligible childcare charges (up to 175 p/w for 1 child or 300 for more) and student expenses.

Charges for registered or approved childcare can be deducted from the income of couples or lone parents in remunerative work or on Statutory Sick, Maternity, Paternity or Adoption Pay or a similar benefit (up to 28 weeks). Each parent must be working at least 16 hours a week - but couples still qualify if one works and the partner is incapacitated, in hospital or prison. N.B. costs of childcare in the child's own home by a close relative are excluded.

teddybear imagegraduation image
Step 11 - Looks for Tax and Pension Credits - income for (nearly) everyone from the Government ! They get added to claim income.
Step 12 - Looks for other adults who live with you and pay no rent (often grown-up children) - but don't count your partner or students

These so called "non-dependants" are assumed to be contributing to the household income so a deduction is made from any benefit for each one. So do enter the number of non-dependants in each of these Income Categories but skip this step if you (or your partner) is disabled due to blindness, or are receiving a DLA care / PIP living component or Attendance Allowance has been awarded.

  enigma image
  That is all you need to do!     Click        and let the program work it out    maths image 
(automatically calculated)
Tax / Pension Credits p/w

How your benefit is worked out. If the Total Applicable Amount is higher than Net Weekly Income, Maximum Benefit is awarded. But if Net Weekly Income is higher than the Total Applicable Amount, 65% of the "excess income" is deducted from Maximum HB to find the award. For Council Tax Support, 20% of the "excess income" taper is deducted from the maximum award. NB Non-dependant deductions are also taken off at this stage.

Weekly Housing house image Benefit Award     coins image
Later in 2013 a cap may be put on the total amount of Benefits you can get, one of which is Housing Benefit. No cap will apply to Council Tax Support.
   Weekly "Main" town hall  image Council Tax Support       coins image
Alternative Council Tax Support is often called Second Adult Rebate. It is based on the income of the non-dependants. The program calculates if you are better off with an award based on your circumstances or your non-dependants.
   Second adult two faces image rebate weekly CTS           coins image
And finally you can use the browser Print button to launch a print or change your figures to calculate again or  the whole lot.

  Valid from April 2013 through March 2014 - Copyright