User Bar First

This is a debugging block


This is a debugging block

Header Second

This is a debugging block

  • Book it
  • Apply for it
  • Pay for it
  • Report it

Carousel Holder

This is a debugging block

Preface First

This is a debugging block

Preface Second

This is a debugging block

Preface Third

This is a debugging block

Header First

This is a debugging block

About council tax


This is a debugging block

What is council tax?

Council tax is a local property based tax which helps fund local services provided by Lancashire County Council (including education and social services), Burnley Borough Council, Lancashire Fire Authority and the Lancashire Police Authority. Approximately 69% of your council tax bill is for Lancashire County Council. Burnley Council retains approximately 17% of your council tax. An information leaflet is sent with each council tax bill. 

Each domestic property is placed in a valuation band (A-H). The Band of your property is the assumed market value as at 1st April 1991 and is determined by the Valuation Office, an executive agency of the Inland Revenue. Most houses in Burnley fall into bands A and B.  Check the valuation band of any property by visiting the Valuation Office website.

The council tax charge is set against the middle band (Band D) every February and all other bands above and below are charged an apportionment of the Band D figure (ie: Band A is 6/9th's, Band B is 7/9th's). Parish Councils may also charge a precept; if you live in Padiham, Briercliffe, Cliviger, Worsthorne or Habergham Eaves you will notice this additional charge on your bill. From 1st April 2015, Hapton Parish Council have introduced a precept.  Here are the Council Tax amounts for 2015-16.

The amount of council tax that is payable for empty properties in Burnley has changed on April 1st 2013. It changed again from 1st April 2015.  Further information is available here.

Who pays council tax?

The main resident, who is normally the owner or tenant of the property, is liable to pay the council tax. If you live with your spouse or partner you may both be jointly liable for the bill.

Set up a Direct Debit Payment Plan now ! 

If you are the owner/landlord of a vacant property you may also be charged council tax.

You can notify us of a change of address by downloading a change of circumstances form which you complete and return to us. 

You can contact the council tax department:

By email at

By telephone on (01282) 425011

Write to us at:

Revenues and Benefits Service
Burnley Borough Council
Parker Lane
BB11 2DS

Visit us at Contact Burnley, Parker Lane. We're open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, except Wednesday when we open at 10am.

Postscript First

This is a debugging block

Postscript Second

This is a debugging block

Postscript Third

This is a debugging block

For: Buses, Schools, Libraries, Registrars Office, Highways, Social Services

Postscript Fourth

This is a debugging block

Burnley - the most enterprising town in britain award winner 2013 Investors in People - Champion We are a living wage employer