What is Burnley Acorn Fund?
This Charity became the responsibility of the Borough Council in 1952. The objectives of the Charity provide for the Trustees to apply the yearly income of the Charity for the benefit of Sick, Poor, needy and elderly persons resident in the Burnley District.
Set down below are the criteria for individuals and organisations applying for grant assistance.
Applications on behalf of INDIVIDUALS seeking grant assistance:
- Applications will only be considered if they are submitted by a recognised agency, voluntary organisation or charity working on behalf of the applicant
- Applications will only be considered as “a last resort” when all other benefit applications have been exhausted.
- Agencies will be required to represent their clients at the Trustees’ meeting to answer questions or give further information. (Failure to attend may result in the application being refused or delayed).
- All applications for requests for the supply of goods and services must accompanied by a minimum of two quotes for any items to be purchased including delivery & fitting and connection charges for white goods. Agencies should pay due regard to the need for economy and use suppliers including second hand shops, community furniture etc. suppliers as well as mainstream shops
- Please note that normally up to £500 will be the limit in respect of each individual application but, in exceptional cases, the Trustees may grant a higher sum.
Applications from ORGANISATIONS or VOLUNTARY groups applying for grant assistance:
- Organisations or Voluntary groups may be required to present their case at the Trustees’ meeting to answer questions or give further information if necessary. (Failure to attend may result in the application being refused or delayed.
- The amount of the grant will normally be limited to £1000 per application but, in exceptional cases, the Trustees may exercise their discretion to exceed that amount.
- It may be necessary for the Trustees to arrange a site visit to gain a further understanding of the group or project.
- Any voluntary organisation working with the elderly in need of assistance would be considered for applications for facilities, equipment etc to support the organisation.
- The income of the Charity shall not be applied in the relief of rates, taxes or other public funds.
- Two quotes for any estimate of work or item of goods should be submitted with the application form. (Failure to supply the two quotes may result in the application being refused or delayed).
Who Manages Burnley Acorn Fund
Membership of the Board of Trustees is prescribed through the Governing instructions. These are as follows:-
- The Mayor of Burnley
- 3 Burnley Borough Representatives
- 3 Co-opted Trustees
The Charity is serviced by Burnley Council’s Democracy Team and advised by other Council Officers as necessary.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applications can be made individually and on behalf of voluntary organisations.
Applications are made on behalf of individuals both male & female who qualify under the provisions set out above.
1) Which exist for the relief or support of elderly persons living in their homes within the Borough of Burnley OR
2) Which exist to provide services or facilities for all elderly persons within the Borough of Burnley.
For information on applying to the Burnley Acorn Fund contact:-
Burnley Borough Council, Town Hall, Manchester Road, Burnley BB11 1JA Telephone: 01282 425011
In conjunction with preparing an application please also read the 'Privacy Notice' in downloads opposite detailing how we will use the information you provide to us as part of an application.