How Burnley is responding to tackling the new variant and what we can ALL do to help
The Government has announced that surge testing and increased vaccination will be taking place in the borough of Burnley to help tackle new variants of concern. No one wants another lockdown.
We are stepping up our efforts to ensure that both PCR testing and vaccinations across our borough are as accessible as possible to all residents.
Here are simple steps we can ALL take to help stop the spread of COVID 19 including the new variants:
- Take a PCR test
- Get vaccinated when you are eligible for a jab
- Continue taking twice-weekly rapid (lateral flow) tests to ensure you are not spreading the virus without knowing
Why are we asking everyone to take a PCR test?
A PCR test is a swab test that goes to a laboratory for testing. A PCR test is the only way to accurately identify coronavirus and new variants.
Take a PCR test:
- Even if you are vaccinated as you could potentially still spread to people without knowing, especially those who have yet to be vaccinated or fully vaccinated
- Even if you recently did a rapid test
- If you have COVID 19 symptoms
We are asking everyone to get a PCR test if you have not tested positive in the last 3 months. Tests can be booked here https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test
You will need to select the option, when asked, that the local authority has asked you to test even though you have no symptoms.
Rapid lateral flow tests are however really quick and convenient- any test is better than now test. You can order online for free home delivery https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
Walk-in PCR tests(no appointment needed) are also available as follows:
Mobile PCR Testing Units: please follow @burnleycouncil on Facebook or Twitter- we will let you know when these services are available
Book an appointment via www.nhs.uk or call 119
- NHS vaccination centre, Charter Walk shopping centre, Burnley – appointment only.
- Brunshaw pharmacy can be selected for bookings on www.facebook.com/BrunshawPharmacy or by calling 01282 830979 for support. It is delivering first and secon doses of both vaccines right in the heart of Daneshouse with Stoneyholme.
- Get a first or second dose at mobile clinic- visit the Healthier lancs site for all local information https://www.healthierlsc.co.uk/CovidVaccination/vaccination-centres. Details of any pop up or mobile clinics in Burnley will also be promoted on the council's social media. These appointments are not available on the national booking system as no appointment is necessary.