If you rent your home from a private landlord and are eligible to claim Housing Benefit, the amount of help you can get towards your rent is based on your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate.
Your LHA rate depends on the number of people in your household and the number of bedrooms deemed to be required by you. One bedroom is allowed for each of the following:
- A couple
- A young person or child who is 16 or over
- Two children of the same sex who are under 16
- Two children who are younger than 10
- Any other child under 16
- A carer providing you or your partner with regular overnight care
- A child or a member of a couple who are unable to share a bedroom because of a disability
You can check how many bedrooms you may be eligible for based on the number of people in your household.
Once you know how many bedrooms you are eligible for, you can check the LHA rate for you, based on the area you live in.
The LHA rates for Burnley from April 2020 are:
- Shared accommodation rate £69.81
- One bedroom rate £80.55
- Two bedroom rate £89.75
- Three bedroom rate £103.56
- Four bedroom rate £149.59
The rates up to 31 March 2020 were:
- Shared accommodation rate £62.40
- One bedroom rate £78.00
- Two bedroom rate £85.00
- Three bedroom rate £99.04
- Four bedroom rate £137.31