The full council tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in a dwelling the council tax will normally be reduced by 25%.
There are also discounts for people who have a severe cognitive disorder, and for full-time students.
- Single person discount
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- full time students. A student must be undertaking a course of at least 21 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks a year
It’s quick, safe and easy to use, so there is no need to call or queue. If you don’t have access to a PC or the Internet, you can use one of our free access PC’s located at any library or in our main Customer Service Centre in Burnley town Centre, where we will also have staff on hand to help.
There are also a number of other types of occupier who will not pay council tax. These include:
- patients resident in hospital
- people who are being looked after in care homes
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- careworkers working for low pay, usually for charities
- people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
- members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
- members of religious communities
- people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
- students with a non-British spouse or dependant(s)
View or download more Council tax discount information including what evidence/proof you will need to provide to apply for one of these discounts.
A property that is not occupied may also receive a discount. Please refer to Council Tax for Empty Properties for further details.
Please be aware that we carry out regular reviews to make sure you are still entitled to a discount and we will send you a form to complete and return. If you do not return the form, your discount may be removed and a new bill issued to you for the full charge.
If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must inform us straightaway of any change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to the discount.