A number of types of dwelling are exempt from the council tax. The following types of vacant properties are exempt:
- Properties that are owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- Properties that are left empty by someone who has gone into prison
- Properties that are left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home
- Properties that are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after).
- Properties that are empty because their occupation is forbidden by law
- Properties that are waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
- Properties that are left empty by someone who is living elsewhere to receive personal care
- Properties that are left empty by someone who has moved to provide personal care to another person
- Properties that are left empty by students
- Properties that have been repossessed
- Properties that are the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
- Unoccupied Caravan Pitches and Boat Moorings
- Properties that cannot be let separately from another property
The following types of occupied property are also exempt from council tax:
- Properties that are student halls of residence
- Properties that are occupied only by students. Please note, a student must be undertaking a course of at least 21 hours per week for 24 weeks a year, rather than actually attending an educational establishment for that amount of time to qualify as a student.
- Properties that are Armed Forces accommodation
- Properties that are occupied by visiting forces
- Properties that are occupied only by persons under 18 years old
- Properties that are occupied only by persons who are severely mentally impaired
- Properties that are occupied by Foreign Diplomats
- Properties that are Granny Annexes and occupied by an elderly or disabled relative (from 1st April 2014 any other relative living in a self-contained annex to the main property is entitled to a 50% reduction)
To apply for any of the above exemptions please complete the appropriate form below. Once we receive your application we will amend your account, however we may contact you to provide further information or evidence before we can apply any discount.
Please remember if your circumstances change you must inform the Local Authority immediately to ensure you are not claiming an exemption you are not entitled to.