A disability band reduction will reduce your council tax if the disability conditions are met. If you qualify for the reduction, your council tax charge will be reduced by one property band. For example, if you currently pay a Band B charge, your new charge would be reduced to a Band A charge. If you already live in a Band A property, your council tax will be reduced by one 9th of the Band D charge.
You will qualify for a disability band reduction if you meet any one of the following criteria:
- You, or someone living with you, needs a room to meet specific needs arising from a disability.
- You, or someone living with you, needs an extra bathroom or kitchen to meet the needs of a disability.
- You have sufficient floor space in your property to allow the use of a wheelchair by a disabled person who lives in the property.
If a person with a disability lives in your property and your property has one of the following:
- A room inside the property that is essential to the wellbeing of the person who has the disability. The person with the disability must be the main user of the room and can be of any age. In this case the room cannot be a bathroom, kitchen or toilet.
- An extra bathroom or kitchen, which is essential to the person with the disability.
- Extra space inside the property for the use of a wheelchair. The person with the disability must need to use the wheelchair indoors.
- The room or extra feature must be essential to the wellbeing of the disabled person and must be required to meet the needs of their disability.
To apply for a disability band reduction, Simply Click