The Memorial Park is the main public park in Padiham and comprises of two sites linked by a riverside walk along the River Calder, one at the top of town, off Blackburn Road, and the other at the bottom of the hill adjacent to Park Road. Funds for construction were mainly provided by the will of Mr.Thomas Clayton who died in 1915, although public subscription provided much of the money for many of the Park's features. This public generosity continues to this day and features such as the Rose Garden have been replanted with money raised by local residents.
The Park was officially opened in 1921, however, several features were added later as funds allowed e.g. Bowling greens and tennis courts in 1923/1924 and bandstand in 1927.
The two sites have very different appeal; the upper site is mainly ornamental and for relaxation consisting of flower beds, rose garden, memorials, shrubberies, and, until 1952 and 1956 respectively, the museum and bandstand. The lower is more aimed at activities and houses bowling greens, tennis courts, a leisure centre, a skate park, and a kick about area in addition to a few horticultural displays. Young children, however, are provided with play areas on both sites.
- Childrens play area
- Skate park
- Tennis Courts
- Bowling Greens
- Rose garden
- Woodland walk
- Visitor Centre/Cafe
For details of events in Padiham Memorial Park and other parks please click here.
Friends of Memorial Park
The friends group has been active since 1998 and meets approximately every 2 months in the Knight Hill House. Details of meetings can be found on the notice board in the park.
The Friends Memorial Park have supported many improvements in the park over recent years and help to organise events such as Christmas and Easter activities, musical events and are currently developing a new visitor centre adjacent to Knight Hill House. New members are always welcome.