The Playing Pitch Strategy (PPS) for Rossendale, Pendle and Burnley and the preceding Assessment Report provides a strategic framework for the maintenance and improvement of existing outdoor sports pitches and ancillary facilities between 2016 and 2026. The PPS covers the following playing pitches and outdoor sports:
- Football pitches
- Cricket pitches
- Rugby union pitches
- Rugby league pitches
- Artificial grass pitches (AGPs) (Hockey)
- Bowling greens
- Tennis courts
The key objectives for the Playing Pitch Strategy are:
- To inform the review of emerging planning policy within the Local Development Frameworks of the participating authorities
- To provide adequate planning guidance to assess development proposals affecting playing fields
- To inform land use decisions in respect of future use of existing outdoor sports areas and playing pitches within the Study Area.
- To provide a strategic framework for the provision and management of playing pitches within the Study Area
- Support external funding bids and maximise support for playing pitches.
- To provide the basis for ongoing monitoring and review of the use, distribution, function, quality and accessibility of playing pitches.