Main entrance of Queen Victoria Road, Burnley
A formal Victorian park containing bowling greens, sports pitches, skate park, cycle track, playground, cafe and an arboretum.
Donation of Land
In 1888 Sir John Hardy Thursby donated 11.2 hectares of land to Burnley Corporation for the creation of Burnley's first public park to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, celebrated the year before, hence the name Queen's Park. The land, valued at £27,000, was adjacent to a mine owned by Sir John Thursby at Bank hall and was "a bare irregular slope with hardly a vestige of foliage".
Design and Building
A design for the proposed park was drawn up by Robert Murray and work commenced in 1891. During the two years of construction 27,500 trees and shrubs were planted at a cost of £12,000 and on the 1st July 1893 the Park was officially opened by Sir John Thursby with a procession, massed bands and a luncheon.
Original features included outdoor gymnasia, a bowling green (a second was added someyears later), bandstand, tennis courts, and putting green. The remainder of the Park was laid out with ornamental features such as the monument and floral displays.
Most original features still survive, including the imposing gates, although these are now separated from the Park by the Queen Victoria Road extension. The only features no longer in existence are the gymnasia (now "The Ginny", a storage area for Parks Services), and the original bandstand.
- Childrens play area
- Skate park
- Tennis Courts
- 1 multi-sport ball court
- Covered bandstand/performance space with power
- Bowling Greens
- Football Pitches
- Cycle track
- Putting green
- Pavilion cafe
- Sensory garden
There is an octagonal ornamental badstand/performance space, that regularly hosts concerts and other events and is available for hire, contact 01282 425011.
The Pavilion Cafe is a laid-back, quirky alternative to the usual town cafes and is a great place to meet for people who love the outdoors.
Serving real espresso coffee, delicious hot chocolate, a selection of teas, milkshakes and ice cream as well as chilled soft drinks and ice lollies. Snacks include a selection of sandwiches, croissants, hot buttered crumpets, biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc
Opening times: - most weathers - 11am - 4pm or later.
Children's Cycle Track
The Friends of Thompson & Queens Park helped raise £30,000 to construct the cycle track in Queens Park. It is in the form of a mini version of a road layout with crossings, signs and road markings, just like the real thing! It give's children under 12 the opportunity to learn to ride their bikes in a safe environment away from the roads and traffic.
For details of events in Queens Park and other parks please click here
Friends of Queens and Thompson Park
The friends group has been active since 1998 and meets every month in the ranger base in Thompson Park. Details of meetings can be found on the notice board in the park.
The Friends have supported many improvements in the park over recent years including developing a sensory garden, re-painting the pavilion, providing log benches and helping to organise events such as Christmas and Easter activities, brass in the park and the Ranger Open Day. New members are always welcome. For more information on the friends group call Michelle Wolfenden tel: 07759 739360.