NOTE: A revised building regulations scale of charges is to be introduced from 1st January 2019.
See "How to Pay" below or click on the download document on the right of this page.
Building regulation approval is required for most types of building work. However there are some exemptions that do not require permission, or works that can be carried out by a member of a competent person scheme.
Types of Application
There are three types of application that you can make.
- Commercial, industrial or larger domestic projects: plans are drawn up make a full plans application.
- Small scale domestic work: a building notice
- Work that has already been carried out without building regulation consent where permission is now being sought: a regularisation application would need to be submitted for consideration.
How to Apply
If approval is required for the proposed work, please complete and submit the relevant application form:
- Full plan submission form
- Building notice form
- Regularisation application form
- BN windows/doors application form
Alternatively, you can also submit applications online by registering with submit-a-plan.
How to Submit
Please send your completed application form by email to:
Alternatively, you can submit applications online by registering with submit-a-plan.
How to Pay
A fee is required as part of your building regulations application. The fee is determined on the type of work you propose to carry out. Please consult the current scale of charges to establish which fee must be paid.
Payment may be made by credit or debit card by telephoning the office between 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday Burnley Borough Council: 01282 477269
Please be aware that your proposed building work might also need planning permission.