Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) are Local Development Documents which can be prepared to support development plan policies. SPDs may be area-specific or topic-based.
A number of new SPDs are proposed to support Burnley's Local Plan. Currently these are:
- Shopfront & Advertisement Design SPD (adopted)
- Developer Contributions SPD (consultation comments being considered)
- Air Quality Management: Protecting Health and Addressing Climate Change SPD
- Residential Extensions SPD
- Planning for Health SPD
- Design Guide: Addressing Quality and Climate Change SPD
- Local List SPD
The Air Quality Management SPDs is currently the subject of formal consultation and is available to view through the page link below.
Non-Statutory Plans and Guidance
Plans and strategies not prepared as formal SPDs may also be material considerations in the determining of relevant planning applications, particularly where these have been prepared in consultation. Such strategies will have less 'weight' as planning policy terms than statutorily prepared documents.
A number of SPDs were adopted to support the previous Local Plan and two of these are still retained for the time being as informal guidance.
Some of the other plans and strategies prepared by the Council that may be relevant are listed on the 'Our Strategies and Policies' webpage accessible through the link below.