On 31 July 2018, the Council adopted a new planning framework 'Burnley's Local Plan'.
The Plan covers the whole of Burnley Borough and the period 2012-2032. It sets out the overall strategy for development, allocates many of the sites that are needed to accommodate new development and sets out policies on how planning applications on allocated and ‘windfall’ sites will be judged. It fully replaces the 2006 Burnley Local Plan.
The Plan is the starting point for determining planning applications. Legislation states that applications for planning permission must be determined in accordance with the development plan unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
The Adopted Plan and the accompanying Policies Map, are available to view and download through the links below:
Burnley's Local Plan Policies Map:
The Development of the Plan
Burnley's Local Plan was developed over a number of years and information on the previous stages of its development and the associated documents can be found under the "In this section" menu on the right hand side of this page.
- Consultation on 'Issues and Options’ - Spring 2014
- Consultation on some 'Issues and Options Additional Sites' - late Summer 2014
- Consultation on 'Preferred Options' - Summer 2016
- Consultation on the Proposed Submission version of the Local Plan - April/May 2017
- Submission of Plan for Examination - 20 July 2017
- Examination - July 2017 to July 2018
- Consultation on Proposed Main Modifications - March/April 2018
- Receipt of Inspector’s Report - 9 July 2018
- Adoption - 31 July 2018