The council’s dog warden enforce various laws regarding dogs, stray dogs, dangerous dogs and dog fouling to improve the environment and tackle anti-social behaviour.
The warden will:
- Aim to respond to all reports of found dogs requiring collection on the same working day if received before 4.15pm.
- Respond to sightings of roaming dogs on any public land, where they are being a nuisance to the public, or presenting a danger in traffic
- Collect all found dogs and keep them for a maximum of seven days so they can be reclaimed by their owner (subject to payment of a fee)
- Work with local re-homing charities to 'place' unclaimed dogs. We have an excellent record of successful home placements
- Promote responsible dog ownership through talks with Primary School children and other groups
- Enforce dog-related legislation
The Council operates an out of hours dog kennelling service where stray dogs can be taken to Aspen Valley, Accrington between the hours of 5pm - 7pm, Monday - Friday (except Bank Holidays) and 10am - 1.30pm, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
The council also offers an out of hours collection service for secured strayed dogs between the hours of 5pm - 7pm Monday to Friday and 10am-1.30pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays. This is for secured dogs only. To request this service please phone the Council's out of hours service on 01254 356535.