The council’s dog warden enforce various laws regarding dogs, stray dogs, dangerous dogs and dog fouling to improve the environment and tackle anti-social behaviour.
The warden will:
· Aim to respond to all reports of found dogs requiring collection on the same working day if received before 4.15pm.
· Respond to sightings of roaming dogs on any public land, where they are being a nuisance to the public, or presenting a danger in traffic
· Collect all found dogs and keep them for a maximum of seven days so they can be reclaimed by their owner (subject to payment of a fee)
· Work with local re-homing charities to 'place' unclaimed dogs. We have an excellent record of successful home placements
· Promote responsible dog ownership through talks with Primary School children and other groups
· Enforce dog-related legislation
Out of hours
The Council operates an out of hours dog kenneling service where stray dogs can be taken to Aspen Valley, Accrington between the hours of 5pm - 7pm, Monday - Friday (except Bank Holidays) and 10am - 1.30pm, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
The council also offers an out of hours collection service for secured strayed dogs between the hours of 5pm - 7pm Monday to Friday and 10am-1.30pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays. This is for secured dogs only. To request this service please phone the Council's out of hours service on 01254 356535.
Report, apply or book online
By using the 'Report' icon at the top of this page (and on every page on this website) you can now report issues at the click of a button. You can also sort out things like bulky waste collections through the 'Book' icon, or pay for your garden waste collection service at 'Pay'. These will re-direct you to our online forms, you maybe required to login and/or create an account.
Or simply click the links below to get straight to the service you need.